Friday, May 15, 2015

Week 3
John The Baptist

We need to repent

While John was imprisoned by Herod, he sent two of his disciples to find Christ.  When the disciples came to Christ they asked "Art thou he that should come" and "or look we for another"? Some might take this as meaning that John didn't know who the Savior was and so he sent his disciples to question him however, this is not the case.  John sent his disciples because he had a testimony of Christ.  He knew that he was the Savior of the world. He had been teaching this and testifying of this truth but he wanted his disciples to see for themselves.  These men were then healed of many infirmities by the Savior.  What a blessing that John afforded these men. They were able to seek out the Savior and see for themselves his heavenly powers. The Savior knew what John was doing and affirmed what a special man that he was by saying in verse 28 of Luke 7 "For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women, there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist". If I were those men I would have told the Savior that I know that he lives, I know that he was sent to Earth to fulfill a divine mission, and that he was a selfless and kind healer and friend to all.

Jospeh Smith gave three reasons why John the Baptist was the greatest prophet.  Here are his reasons:
1. John had been given the mission to prepare the way for the arrival of the Savior. In my opinion that wouldn't be the easiest task, but would be a very rewarding one.  You would have to be a special and righteous person to be given that mission.
2. John was required to baptize the Savior.  What a humbling and possibly intimidating task.  The Savior was perfect and did not require to be baptized but he lived this law to set an example for us. John assisted in this by baptizing a man that was more perfect than he.
3. John at the time, was the only legal administrator in the affairs of the kingdom there was then on the earth, and holding the keys of power.

In John 3: 30 this verse is a good summary of how John the Baptist felt about the Savior and his earthly mission "He (the Messiah) must increase, but I must decrease". John knew that his life was not about him; it was about making a way for the Savior and proclaiming his name.  I can take this same attitude into my life. The Savior must come first.  I should be proclaiming the name of the Savior and teaching others about him.  Before I can do this, I must know for  myself that he is the Lord and the Savior.  I can say that I know this to be true.  I know that he lived on the Earth and that he lives today.  I know that his atonement made it possible for me to be forgiven, I know that if I follow his example then my life will be fulfilled.  He lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment