Sunday, July 15, 2012

Quotes on Tithing:




I like this quote because it tells of the blessing of peace that we can receive when we pay a full tithe.

"One of the great blessings of tithing is confidence in what the future holds. Whatever our circumstances may be, things will work out for the best. As we keep our promises, He will keep His. A feeling of peace is one of the great blessings of paying a full tithe".

(President Henry B. Eyring, The Blessings of Tithing, Liahona, June 2011)
http://www.lds.org/liahona/2011/06/the-blessings-of-tithing?lang=eng&query=tithing

I chose this quote because paying tithing is not always easy to do, but this quote explains that things will work out if we pay it.

"So one of the great blessings of tithing is confidence in what the future holds. Whatever our circumstances may be, things will work out for the best. As we keep our promises, He will keep His. A feeling of peace is one of the great blessings of paying a full tithe. Those who have kept the commandment of tithing can testify that the blessing of peace is real and precious".

(President Henry B. Eyring, The Blessings of Tithing, Liahona, June 2011)
http://www.lds.org/liahona/2011/06/the-blessings-of-tithing?lang=eng&query=tithing

This is a great story about Elder Oak's mother, and her strong faith in tithing.

 "My mother was a widow, with a large family to provide for. One spring when we opened our potato pits she had her boys get a load of the best potatoes, and she took them to the tithing office; potatoes were scarce that season. I was a little boy at the time, and drove the team. When we drove up to the steps of the tithing office, ready to unload the potatoes, one of the clerks came out and said to my mother, "Widow Smith, it's a shame that you should have to pay tithing." . . . My mother turned upon him and said: "William, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Would you deny me a blessing? If I did not pay my tithing, I should expect the Lord to withhold His blessings from me. I pay my tithing, not only because it is a law of God, but because I expect a blessing by doing it. By keeping this and other laws, I expect to prosper and to be able to provide for my family. Some people say, 'I can't afford to pay tithing.' Those who place their faith in the Lord's promises say, 'I can't afford not to pay tithing". 
(Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Ensign, May 1994, pg 34)


This quote testify's that when we pay tithing, we are putting our faith in, and relying solely on the Lord.
 
"Tithing develops and tests our faith. By sacrificing to the Lord what we may think we need or want for ourselves, we learn to rely on Him. Our faith in Him makes it possible to keep temple covenants and receive eternal temple blessings". (Elder Robert D. Hales, Tithing: A Test of Faith with Eternal Blessings, Ensign November 2002, pg 26-27)

Hands down this is one of my favorites on tithing.

"Do you want the windows of heaven opened to you? Do you wish to receive blessings so great there is not room enough to receive them? Always pay your tithing and leave the outcome in the hands of the Lord." (Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, Earthly Debts, Heavenly Debts, Ensign 2004, pg, 41)

I chose this quote because it tells of the importance of teaching our children about paying tithing.

“Too often we as parents do not teach and encourage our children to live this law because their contribution only amounts to a few cents. But without a testimony of tithing, they are vulnerable. In their teenage years, they become attracted to clothes, entertainment, and expensive possessions and risk losing the special protection that tithing provides.” (Elder Robert D. Hales, Tithing: A Test of Faith with Eternal Blessings, Ensign, Nov. 2002, pg 28-29)

I love this story!  This shows the importance of paying a full and honest tithe.

"As a young man recently returned from his mission, he found the girl he wanted to marry. They were happy, but very poor.
"Then came a particularly difficult time when their food and money ran out. It was a Saturday, and the cupboard was literally bare. Rene felt distraught that his young wife was hungry. He decided he had no other choice than to use their tithing money and go purchase food.
As he was leaving the house, his wife stopped him and asked him where he was going. He told her he was going to buy food. She asked him where he got the money. He told her that it was the tithing money. She said, 'That is the Lord's money--you will not use that to buy food.' Her faith was stronger than his. He put the money back, and they went to bed hungry that night.
"The next morning they had no breakfast, and they went to church fasting. Rene gave the tithing money to the bishop, but he was too proud to tell the bishop that they were in need.
"After the meetings he and his wife left the chapel and started to walk home. They hadn't gone very far when a new member called to them from his house. This man was a fisherman and told them he had more fish than he could use. He wrapped five little fish in a newspaper for them, and they thanked him. As they continued to walk home, they were stopped by another member who gave them tortillas; then someone else stopped them and gave them rice; another member saw them and gave them beans" (President Gordon B. Hinckley, In the Arms of His Love, Ensign, Nov. 2006 http://www.lds.org/ldsorg v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=05eb88f17feae010VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1 )

Another story about Elder Oaks and his mothers faithfulness to paying a full tithe.  This is the attitude that I want to be  know for.

"When I became conscious that we went without some desirable things because we didn’t have enough money, I asked my mother why she paid so much of her salary as tithing. I have never forgotten her explanation: “Dallin, there might be some people who can get along without paying tithing, but we can’t because we are poor. The Lord has chosen to take your father and leave me to raise you children. I cannot do that without the blessings of the Lord, and I obtain those blessings by paying an honest tithing. When I pay my tithing, I have the Lord’s promise that He will bless us, and we must have those blessings if we are to get along.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, The Gospel Culture, Liahona, Mar. 2012 http://www.lds.org/liahona/2012/03/the-gospel-culture?lang=eng&query=tithing )

I love this quote because it shows that when we keep the commandments, we will be blessed for it.
 
"Tithing is a commandment with a promise. The words of Malachi, reaffirmed by the Savior, promise those who bring their tithes into the storehouse that the Lord will “open … the windows of heaven, and pour [them] out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it". (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, The Gospel Culture, Liahona, Mar. 2012 http://www.lds.org/liahona/2012/03/the-gospel-culture?lang=eng&query=tithing )

This quote tells me that by doing what I know is right and paying a full tithe, I can be blessed with a stronger feeling of hope.

"We learn to cultivate hope the same way we learn to walk, one step at a time. As we study the scriptures, speak with our Heavenly Father daily, commit to keep the commandments of God, like the Word of Widsom, and to pay a full tithing, we attain hope.  We grow in our ability to “abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost,  as we more perfectly live the gospel. There may be times when we must make a courageous decision to hope even when everything around us contradicts this hope".
(President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, The Infinite Power of Hope, General Conference Address, October 2008 http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/the-infinite-power-of-hope?lang=eng&query=tithing )



1 comment:

  1. Hello there!
    I know you do not know me-just as I do not know you. However, on a windy, cold, dreary night in a small town in Iowa--your comments and quotes on the topic of tithing have lifted my spirits and strengthened my faith. I am a 28 year old single woman who is trying to get back on the right path--and for me this means paying tithing from small checks. I have not done so...in quite a long time, but tonight as I was reading and studying....a new flicker of hope and desire came into my heart. So, I "googled" the words "LDS quotes on tithing" and your post came up!

    I am sincerely grateful for your inspired choice to reach out to the world and to myself. Thank you. :) May the Lord bless you as you continue to pay tithing in your own family. Thank you for giving me hope.

    ReplyDelete